Ah Books Before 30, we began with such good intentions and I’ve all but left you behind. But no more!
I wrote about Books Before 30 a few months ago at EmilyBooks’ Blog, thinking to myself, this is the point where I really need to engage. Yet, I didn’t. I have two years and just under one month before I turn 30 and nothing appears to be motivating me.
For anyone that isn’t aware of Books Before 30: it is my plan to read the books I think I should have read already, by the time I am 30. I can add anything to the list, but must attempt all of them and should try and avoid removing any. My original rules were stricter, but I don’t think I can force myself to read another Twilight, it may end me. I was inspired by Simon, of Savidge Reads, 40 before 40 challenge. An idea I have taken, modified and used as my own. As he’s not contacted me to tell me I’m dead to him, I am assuming this is okay.
In fear that I will never look at Books Before 30 again – until a month before my 30th and I move into panic mode – I’ve decided to bulk it up. With the prospect of more books to tackle I am hoping I will feel more inclined to complete my task. I’ll be adding more classics and books that always seem to appear on those ‘if you don’t read these before you die you’ve failed at life’ lists. I’ll post about my decisions next week.
For now take a look at my list, and my frankly abysmal attempt at tackling it.
- Dune by Frank Herbert – Unfinished 22.06.12
- The Beginning of Spring by Penelope Fitzgerald – Unfinished 03.02.14
- I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith – Finished reading 06.04.13
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – Finished reading 03.06.12
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen – Finished reading 06.12.12
- Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen – Finished reading 25.12.12
- The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks – Finished reading 19.01.13
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte – Finished reading 06.10.12
- The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins – Finished reading 23.08.13
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier – Finished reading 19.02.13
- Appointment in Samarra by John O’Hara – Finished reading 01.07.12
- Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell – Finished reading 25.03.13
- Behind The Scenes At The Museum by Kate Atkinson
- Silk by Alessandro Baricco
- The House in Paris by Elizabeth Bowen
- The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
- The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John Le Carre
- Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
- Birdsong by Sebastian Faulk
- The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
- For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac
- Paradise Lost by John Milton
- Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
- The Blue Castle by L M Montgomery
- The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
- Swann’s Way by Marcel Proust
- The Tunnel by Ernesto Sábato
- Blindness by José Saramago
- Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
- The Warden by Anthony Trollope
- Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope
- Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh
Do you have a list like this? Are there any books you want to read, but think you may need to set yourself a goal to actually get to them? Can you make any recommendations? What are you reading right now?
Image from Ashton.