With the announcement of the The Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction 2016 shortlist on Monday I will once again be trying to read all six books before the winner is announced in June. This will be my third year of trying to read the shortlist, I had a great time doing it in 2014, but the 2015 shortlist left me underwhelmed.
I’m feeling hopefully about this year, especially from Eric’s reviews over at Lonesome Reader who has read the long list along with Simon of Savidge Reads. The judging panel is a fantastic group of women, I think I would trust anything Elif Shafak told me.
Here’s the shortlist:
- The Glorious Heresies by Lisa McInerney
- Ruby by Cynthia Bond
- The Green Road by Anne Enright
- The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild
- A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
- The Portable Veblen by Elizabeth McKenzie
I’m not sure I can get through the remaining 400 pages of A Little Life, I’m feeling a little anxious and I’ve not even picked it back up yet.