Hello and Welcome,
So you want to know a little more about me?
I’m Alice. I came to love reading later in life, post-University, when suddenly books became mind-expanding and a world of new language. I’m not qualified to write reviews, but such is my need to discuss literature I’ve decided to force my opinions on the internet regardless. While I attempt to judge content and form without bias, I read emotively and that is reflected.
I enjoy reading classics, modern classics and literary fiction, but I am known to also pick up genre fiction – lines often blur. Romance is a genre I am most likely to avoid.
Richard Yates, Sarah Moss, Donna Tartt, Joan Didion, Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, J.K. Rowling, and Ford Madox Ford are (some of) my favourite authors.
I have around twenty-five books I will consistently recommend – an ever evolving list – the following are a few that never change:
- Parade’s End by Ford Madox Ford
- The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald
- Persuasion by Jane Austen
- The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
- A Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R.R. Martin
- Neapolitan series by Elena Ferrante
- Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
- Easter Parade by Richard Yates
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt
- The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- Just Kids by Patti Smith
Between 2013-2016, I challenged myself to read certain books before I turned 30. I ultimately gave up, because it was a challenge that ruined my desire to read, but you can see how I did here.