As a blog author, how much information, do you, or should you share with your readers?
Not just in regards to posts, but for example, an author page or blurb in the sidebar; I would say I give a 20:80 share of personal to non-personal information regarding posting and the information I give about myself at the side.
The level of appropriate sharing will depend on the subject on which you are blogging; general or personal bloggers will need to share a little more of themselves to gain a connection with their readership – however, there is a way to do this without over sharing (Manda and Cassie, for example.) Whereas book bloggers such as myself do not need to share information in the same way to be relevant.
I am in this quandary, because I see many blogs with and without an author bio, and from a reader’s perspective I would like to know if it is interesting having insight into an author, or if you enjoy reading a blog regardless.
So, in the spirit of sharing, here are seven vague and possibly uninteresting facts about me:
- I was twenty-one when I fell in love with books.
- I find it difficult to enjoy Comics or Graphic Novels because of all the pictures – I get distracted.
- Nightwish were the first band I loved that had nothing to do with chart hits or mainstream music.
- I prefer The Kinks to The Beatles.
- And I think Fleetwood Mac, The Smiths and Roxy Music are the greatest bands in existence.
- I wrote my University dissertation on the film A Clockwork Orange, and discussed why it was a ‘cultural shock’; it is possibly one of the worst things I have ever written.
- I am slightly obsessed with Dinosaurs, Unicorns and Dragons, but I try not to let it interfere with living my life.
NB: This ‘Emergent service worker‘ has got herself an internship in LDN for three weeks; my posting schedule will (hopefully) remain the same, however, you may find Monday’s discussion/non-review posts pithier than usual.